Friday 6 January 2012

Change is good. Complacency gets challenged. New year (wrote the big 12 for the first time today)... new home (up north)... new job (further north north)... new church (yet to be determined)... new friends (all but a few yet to be met)... Isn't it great we have a sovereign God who not only leads but walks with? Isn't it great there are plans bigger than our own that we are invited, called, commanded to be a part of?


Took a job with First Nations and Inuit Health as a community health nurse to work on reserves in northern Alberta. Translation: working either at the nursing station or in the community (public health-ish type work) two weeks on, two weeks off. There are four reserves I can be stationed in. My first trip up is this Monday. One commercial and one charter flight later... Population approx. 700, one of the more remote of the four locations. Couple days ago spoke with yet another doctor who's worked in all of these reserves. When asked what it was like, his response was almost ironic in similarity to what others have shared about their experiences on these reserves. Over and over.. the same descriptions: isolated, lonely, a self-imploding repetitive cycle, spiritually dark...


I don't know much about these places. But I do know God has given me a peace about going. This peace has guarded my heart and mind, and daily battles the uncertainties and anxieties that are there to arise at a moments notice when my gaze turns off the Father. As long as He is leading in this direction it's my heart's desire to be obedient and follow... and He has started stirring an excitement in my heart as I do so.


I greatly appreciate and value your prayers. I think the request at the top of the list... that I will see those I'll be with and serving as Christ sees them. I know this sounds cliche.. but if I can genuinely love these people... or even begin in learning what that looks like.. I know that's where I need to start. From the reports of others: spiritual warfare and loneliness seem to be some other big ones. Pray that God will be glorified in each day. It's my prayer, my hope, that I will in no way be ashamed, be fearful... but will have sufficient courage so that now and always, Christ may be exalted and glorified in my life.

2 comments:

  1. Now we know what to pray for. Take care, love ya. -lyla

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited for you to be able to "be there" for the people you will get the chance to be there for. I will definitely be thinking of you and praying for you as you learn to love them. So far, in my work in the inner-city (which I am sure is much different), the greatest impact has been when I have listened, and not been too quick to try and "fix" things.

    ReplyDelete